The Hungry, I Shall Feed Them!

3 Oct

Friends, collegues, bloggers… I have a confession. I have been inhabited by a demon. “But, how can this be? You are not spitting up pea soup or throwing priests against walls,” you say! No, this is another kind of demon…

My whole life I’ve been relatively small, in both stature and size. And I’ve never been the best athlete. I do enjoy some light exercise and activities (like throwing a frisbee for a dog, or taking a brisk walk), but I am not, let me repeat, AM NOT a runner. I played volleyball in high school and the worst part of practice for me was doing laps. I could do lunges, squats and peppering until the cows come home. But ask me to run 5 laps around the field house? Get outta here! No way! I’ll die! My asthma will slip its hot, fuzzy hands around my delicate windpipe and squeeze until it feels like death is sitting his fat ass on my chest!

So why, dear friends, WHY, did I sign up for a 5k!? It’s a great question. And I’ll answer it with this: I have a desk job that actually means sitting at a desk for 6 – 8 hours out of the day. Even the people with high metabolisms, like me, can be affected by a desk job. My regular gym routine and eating better wasn’t showing any positive change that I could see and feel comfortable with.

So I signed up for a 5k.

But it’s not just any 5k! It’s the Sacramento 18th annual Run to Feed the Hungry! It’s on Thanksgiving Day morning and last year it rained… a lot. And it was cold. I was bundled in jeans, tall socks, boots, a peacoat and a hat while watching my more athletic friends and boyfriend run in the cold rain. This year, I’ll be the one freezing my ass off running for the hungry people of Sacramento.

And, it gives me a reason to get said ass in shape! I’ve downloaded a couch to 5k app on my phone and I plan to use it at least three times a week to get myself in shape for the big day. I’ve done one session and it went surprisingly well. The first session goes as follows: 5 minute warm-up, 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking, repeat eight times, and then a 5 minute cool-down. The first few sessions go this way and then it ramps up from there to increase stamina. I’m currently running on a treadmill at my gym since the weather is still ungodly hot, but I plan to go for some late-evening runs ones it cools down, so I can get used to running on pavement.

I’ve done a lot of talking about myself here, and now here’s a chance for you to do something for me! I’ve set up a donations page through http://RunToFeedTheHungry.com and my goal is $150. So far I have $25 and I’m already pumped! My $50 donation/registration fee is divided up into two parts: 88% goes straight to the Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services, and the other 12% goes toward next year’s race. For every $1 that is donated in my name (or in general!), $10 worth of goods will go to a family in need. If you’d like to help me and the citizens of Sacramento, go here to donate: Paige’s Donation Page.

I can’t believe how excited I am about this! Talking about it here, to my friends and family and also on other social networking platforms, has pushed me to be accountable. I’m excited to get in shape, but I’m also excited to lend a helping hand those in need!

Advertisements

3 Responses to “The Hungry, I Shall Feed Them!”

  1. healthygirlandthecity October 3, 2012 at 10:29 am #

    congrats on running for a great cause! good luck 🙂

  2. Stephanie October 3, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

    get it, girl! 🙂 I feel the same way about my office job— it’s an awful lot of sitting all day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: