Listen, this is my blog. So of course I’m going to talk about things I want to talk about. I’m hoping that my things will help you with your things, though. Like armpits. Or underarms if you want to be classy.
Why are we talking about armpits? Because I recently switched deodorant. In my efforts to be more green and be nicer to my body, I thought I’d switch to Tom’s of Maine, which I’m now seeing was a mistake, and you’ll see why soon.
I used to use this deodorant, by Suave:
I liked it well enough. It kept the smells at bay, but it didn’t do a whole lot for antiperspirant. It’s also full of chemicals.
So I switched to Tom’s antiperspirant:
What I didn’t realize until later is that you have to buy the specific Aluminum-free Tom’s if you want to get the supposedly non-cancer causing deodorant.
Now, there are some pros and cons to this antiperspirant.
- it has a nice smell.
- it has alleviated my sensitive skin issue so that when I shave, it doesn’t get as irritated.
- it’s more natural than my previous deodorant.
- it has nearly 30% aluminum (the Suave had less than 9%!)
- it is not a very good deodorant; I find myself pretty obnoxious by the end of the day.
- because it’s made from a lot of natural oils, it has a more solid consistency than most deodorants.
- IT HAS NEARLY 30% ALUMINUM! the more I think about it, the more I need to switch to the aluminum-free version.
You never realize how much research you have to do until later when you realized that the chemicals and harmful products you were trying to get away from are the ones that are pumped right into the products you thought were best!
Also, I would like to apologize for the lack of a post about my recent DIY projects. My poor 6-year old MacBook is too ancient to want to let me use WordPress. So uploading a post FULL of pictures can get very tedious. Along with that, the battery in our garage door opening died, leaving us shut out of the (detached) garage for a couple of days, so we only just got the spool inside as of yesterday. I promise to share pictures and how-tos this week!